Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner: Government subsidized agencies versus Private Practitioners

How to choose a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner that's right for you 

You have the choice of a private practice or a government subsidized agency for family dispute resolution. Use the one that best suits your needs.

For those that are employed 

Private Practitioners are a viable option - from a financial point of view, most private services havie fixed rates which takes the guess work out of the equation, and may even work out to be more cost effective than government agencies that means test. Private practitioners are often able to deliver a more personal, private and flexible service and if practitioners are able to offer out of hours service means that you will not have to take time off work to attend.  There is often much less of a waiting period if you choose a private over public service. At Family Dispute Resolution & Mediation Services, we offer all of the above as well as concession rates for low income earners with a health card card. 

Use an accredited Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner

Whichever option you choose you will be seen by an Accredited Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner. To remain accredited, the Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner must be a member of an association of dispute resolvers, otherwise known as a complaints handling service.

Prior to Family Dispute Resolution sessions, the practitioner is required (as stated in Regulation 28), to not only explain the family dispute resolution process to you, but to also provide details about the complaints mechanism. 

For those on a low income

For people on low incomes, with a health care card, there are government subsidized organisations such as Relationships Australia, FRC, with offices across Victoria. They means test and more often than not, if you have a health card, their service is free.