What happens if agreements can’t be reached through Family Dispute Resolution (FDR)?


What are your options after family dispute resolution?

If you and your former partner attempt family dispute resolution and are unable to reach mutually agreeable outcomes in relation to children's matters the next step may be court. 


If you cannot agree on arrangements for children through Family Dispute Resolution, the FDR Practitioner will issue you with a Section 60I Certificate (exemptions apply) and you may have the Family Court decide and issue you a Parenting Order. In deciding parenting arrangements the Court must always consider:

  • The best interests of the child
  • The extent to which both parents have complied with their obligations in relation to the child, which may include those set out in a parenting plan (if any).